Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kaplan PCAT Preview Class



I took a preview class with Kaplan today at 7pm EDT (4pm my time.)  I gotta say I loved it. It was a pretty straightforward live online class. The Kaplan instructor went through the basics of the exam, then we went through 11 sample problems covering the various topics on the test.

Those were some good sample questions. Good at showing me how useful taking a Kaplan course would be, and good at showing me how much I don't know and need to review. If anyone sees this in time and wants to check out the free preview class themselves, you can register for next Thursday's class (May 27th, 9pm EDT) at this link.

And of course at the end of the class, they cover the product that they offer, which is a 14 class program (Sometimes once a week, other times multiple times a week.) that focuses on a different topic each time, and includes two full practice tests.

The classes cover:

Class 01 - 3.5 hours - In class Diagnostic Exam
Class 02 - 3.5 hours - Orientation and Verbal Ability 1
Class 03 - 3.0 hours - Biology 1
Class 04 - 3.0 hours - General Chemistry 1
Class 05 - 3.0 hours - Organic Chemistry 1
Class 06 - 3.0 hours - Reading Comprehension
Class 07 - 3.0 hours - Quantitative Ability 1
Class 08 - 3.5 hours - Midterm Exam
Class 09 - 3.0 hours - Verbal Ability 2
Class 10 - 3.0 hours - Biology 2
Class 11 - 3.0 hours - General Chemistry 2
Class 12 - 3.0 hours - Organic Chemistry 2
Class 13 - 3.0 hours - Quant 2/Reading 2/Quant Mini-Test
Class 14 - 3.5 hours - Final Exam

You can take the classes live in a class, live online, or through on demand files (and private 1 on 1 tutoring is available as well.). If I took the class, I'd probably take the live online version. It costs $1399 ($150 off if you sign up before May ends.) I think it would absolutely raise my score, but that is a lot of money (You do physical materials sent to you no matter which learning service you pay for.).

As it is right now, if I have to go through a second round of applications, then I will absolutely take the course, but at this moment in time, I don't see myself paying for this service.

What I did take away from the experience though is that I most definitely need to do a lot of review and studying. I need to remember all kinds of simple tricks. And I learned that the average score in all these different categories (besides the writing portion) is a 400, and a 440 is needed to be in the 90% percentile.

Not much more to say except that the studying continues!

(And of course, to learn more of the Kaplan services, check out their website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment