Sunday, April 24, 2011

5th Northern California Pre-Pharmacy Symposium - Part 2


Ok, that was a lot of information for one day. It's going to take me a while to break it all down. I will say that it was a fantastic event, and there were more workshops that I would have liked to have attended that I wasn't able to go to. I'll probably go again next year. It was certainly worth the $15 registration fee and $8 parking.

I do have some other things I need to take care of today, but for a quick sneak peek, here's how my day went.

I woke up and couldn't find my wallet (Email said to bring ID), so I spent my morning flustered, and eventually just left with my passport instead. The event itself was contained within three floors of the same building, breakfast was the regular (and perfectly acceptable) muffins, bagels, fruit, juice, and water.

The keynote speakers were fantastic. Very good presence and rapport with each other, and lots of great information.

The pharmacist panel was equally worthwhile to witness.

The Dual Degree workshop wasn't paced as best as it could have been so three of the six topics had to be rushed, but there were some handouts to take home.

Lunch may have been the most info packed session of all, because I sat at the table with an IT Pharmacist. Something I hadn't known existed until today.

The Northstate session I chose really broke down their new Team Based Learning approach to teaching (They used to have some lecture incorporated into their curriculum for their first year, and it's all gone now.)

Pharmacy School Fair is what you would expect (in a good way) and was able to get info from all the out of state schools, something I'm very much lacking in.

Ran into some friends during the break, two brothers (one of which was accepted into Pharmacy school this year), and got some info from them.

And closed with the Drug Development workshop. There was lot of information, but I feel like I new most of that already thanks to studying to be a pharm tech. I wish I had chosen to go to the Disaster Preparedness workshop instead.

All in all, like I said, it was an excellent day and well worth it. I would recommend it to anyone, and will go again next year if I have the chance.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gerry~ It's been a while, so glad to hear you're still on the pharmacy track. Best of luck with the application process! :) -Lucia

    ReplyDelete