Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weight Loss - Part 1

For most of my life, I can remember feeling overweight. It wasn't always physically true, but even after I lost my weight during my growth spurt, I still thought I was fat. It is something I've had to live with for a long time, and cannot simply be ignored in this blog, but I will relate it to pharmacy in what ways that I can.

After I came back from the UoP preview day, I was talking with my friend, and I joked that I thought it was a requirement to be hot to get into the school. The three presenters during the student panel were all very pretty, to the point that I stupidly became a little bit anxious when I went to go up to talk to them when my friend that went with me thought up a question that she wanted answered. And on the flip side, all the guys giving us the tour of the campus were all very fit.

Obviously, what I said was just a joke, but I think there may be some vague sense of truth to it.

First of all, I understand that everyone has a different metabolism, set point, etc, and when it comes to weight loss, there is a lot of variation. I will be talking in some generalities, but a lot of it may turn out to just specifically apply to myself.

But when it comes to being a pharmacy student, there is a certain level of discipline required. A common phrase when UoP students spoke was "time-management skills". While there is a whole different level of psychology when it comes to weight loss, as opposed to being studious, there is a level of discipline required when it comes to losing weight. And accomplishing my goal, which is very attainable and not at all unreasonable, is just another sign that I'm mentally prepared for pharmacy school.

I am one of those people that tend to eat more when I'm stressed out. The more hectic my life is, the more weight I gain. At my fittest, I weighed 185 in 2005. I now weight 220. I weighed even more during the summer. I didn't weight myself because I did not want to see the results until I lost some weight, which I did. I know because my clothes are looser.

I plan on taking control of my weight once again (I did so once before. I lost 30 pounds in a little over three months, and maintained that weight until I tore my ACL), and will be joining 24-Hour Fitness, while they have their "$0 Initiation Fee and $29.99 Monthly Dues on a Keep Fit All-Club Sport Membership" special. It lasts until 9/30/09.

While there is no way that looks are a requirement for the interview, losing weight will help me get accepted into whatever school I get into because I will feel better about myself. All the benefits of weight loss will help me get in, including more confidence in myself, more energy, and strengthened mental capabilities. All of those benefits will aid me as a student as well.

And while I can't give out any numbers, a fact of reality is that people respond better to better looking people. If that subconsciously aids me in the interview, then so be it. It is not the main reason why I will be working to lose weight, and probably won't affect the interview much at all, but if that benefit is there, I will take it. And once I become a pharmacist, and being physically fit helps when I have to interact with patients, then it's better for me and it is better for them.

There is no losing when it comes to becoming fit. I just have to keep in mind that losing weight and being fit are not equal. I have to have reasonable goals.

At this point, my goals are to reach 185 by the end of the year, to be able to do 50 push-ups, and 10 pull-ups and chin-ups. Those are numbers that I had been able to reach before. Although I will be happy if I still reach 190.

While I was down in LA for Macy's Passport, I took advantage of the hotel gym, and it felt good. It's time to keep up that momentum, and I'm off to the gym now.

No comments:

Post a Comment