Thursday, September 24, 2009

Who am I? Part 3

So I'm looking at pharmacy schools, and studying to be a pharmacy technician, but who am I?  At what point am I at in getting into pharmacy school, and why am I at this point?

So I took a look at reality and saw that pharmacy might not be possible.  I didn't know what was going to happen anymore, but just knew that I needed to graduate, and so switched to Psychologyas within reach as I had wanted it to be at this point in my life.

As soon as I made the switch, I knew it was a good idea.  Part of that was simply because while my plan was derailed, I was taking control of what was happening.

For the next two semesters I loaded my schedule with as many psychology classes as I could take.  And while all the classes were interesting, a full load of psychology classes was most definitely much easier to handle than biology and chemistry classes.

Some of the classes that I took, I took simply because they were easy, and I wanted to fix my GPA.  But it turned out that the classes I loved the most were the ones that were the most challenging.  Psycholinguistics and Cognitive Psychology were my favorites by far.

If I couldn't do Pharmacy, I was considering applying for the masters program in psychology research at San Francisco State University as an alternative.  In my head, that as actually my new path, and not just an alternative.  Pharmacy was too just far away, and I needed my career now.

There were two major things that I took away from this.

First,  I need a challenge, and I need to keep things fresh.  I did the best in the classes that were hardest.  I shot to the top of those classes because they were new and interesting, and they captivated me.  I had to force myself to pay attention to those easy classes.  A similar result to this was when I tried to immediately retake a couple of my bio and chem classes.  It was just hard to focus when I was relearning the material.  I didn't do bad in those classes the first time because I didn't understand what was going on.  I did bad because I was a bad student and missed a lot of classes and didn't put in any effort.  If I was to redo it, and if I had to retake classes, I would not do it immediately.  I would have given myself a break so the classes wouldn't feel like such a chore.

Second, by taking this year away from biochemistry and pharmacy, I found that I really missed it.  It's something that I wanted to go back to.

I can't tell you just yet what it is about pharmacy that attracts me, I just know it's there.  I'm a very analytical person, but it takes me a while to understand my own feelings, and then be able to verbalize them.  That's something that I hope to be able to accomplish through writing about my experience through this blog.  It's something I'll need to be able to do to write my personal statement.

I took time away from biochemistry and rediscovered my passion for learning.  I took time away from the pharmacy path, and found the drive still within me.  The beginning's of this blog has shown you the first steps, and by the end I will be in pharmacy school and on my way to my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment