Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who am I? Part 1

So I'm looking at pharmacy schools, and studying to be a pharmacy technician, but who am I?  At what point am I at in getting into pharmacy school, and why am I at this point?

First, let's go into what sparked my interest in pharmacy.

My name is Gerry, and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I'm 28 years old, and am only just about to get my bachelor's degree.  It'll be a degree in Psychology.  Although I wasn't always a Psychology major.

I was one of the top 5 students in my high school, and did excellent in most of my classes.  I could have gotten all A's if I wanted to, but I didn't particularly worry if I got an occasional B.  When it came time to choosing my major, I knew my parents wanted me to go into science, and I wasn't against that, so I took a look at my grades, and I got an A in Physics, and A in Chemistry, and a B in Biology.  I scratched Biology off the list, and flipped a coin.  It came up Physics.

That's a big problem with pressuring kids to choose their majors early, and being constantly told "You can be whatever you want to be."  Supposedly I could be anything, but with so many options, I had no idea how to decide.  I was good at physics, and I found the subject interesting, but did I know what I was going to do with it?  No.

As the semesters past, I really lost interest in what I was doing.  School was simply a chore, and eventually I realized that physics wasn't for me.

I took a semester off, and simply worked construction for my dad.  Getting away from the academic world and just using my body was a very nice change of pace.

During this time I went and stopped by the Air Force recruiter at the nearby mall.  He gave me his spiel and a pamphlet that contained all the jobs they could train me in.  It was a pretty long list, but I scanned through it quickly, because nothing seemed at all interesting to me.  Then near the end of the list was the word "Pharmacist".  I finished looked through the rest of the vocations simply to be thorough, but I knew that was the one.  It just clicked.

I ended up not joining the Air Force, but for the first time in my life I found a possible career that I could actually work towards.  I actually had a goal in mind, rather than simply going through the motions of high education.

No comments:

Post a Comment