Sunday, October 11, 2009

Checklist

I've thrown out bits and pieces of what I'm doing, but I think it's time I write out what the full plan is:

- Graduate with a degree
- Continue doing community service
- Study for the PTCE
- Take the PTCE
- Apply for my pharm tech license
- Work as a pharm tech
- Study for the GRE
- Take the GRE
- Attend Info/Preview Days in CA
- Retake important classes
- Research Out of State Schools
- Rearch the field of pharmacy
- Lose weight
- Study for the PCAT
- Take the PCAT
- Write my Personal Statement
- Acquire references
- Apply to schools
- Prepare for Interviews
- Choose a school!

Most of these things overlap, so it's hard to rank them in a specific order. A lot of these can also be chunked into groups. And so here they are:

- Graduate with a degree

This is one of the more immediate steps. While it's not required to have a degree to apply to most/all schools, it is beneficial. It also may be beneficial to state I have a degree when I apply for a job as a pharmacy technician. But mostly, I'm doing it for me. I've been in school for a long time, and I want a degree.


- Participate in My Organization/Do Community Service

I'm going to continue to participate in an organization that I'm in, because I like what they do, as well as continue to do community service. That part of my application is pretty much covered, but as long as I have the time for it, I will continue to contribute. And that's the key, doing it as time allows, and not letting things become unbalanced.


- Become a Pharmacy Technician

Becoming a pharmacy technician is a multi-step goal with multiple purposes in mind. I need to continue studying, take the PTCB, and then apply for my pharmacy tech license. Afterwards apply where I can, so I can gain experience in a pharmacy, get to know one or more pharmacists, and hopefully find someone who can write me a letter of recommendation.


- Take the GRE

I'm not sure how many schools require it for admission. I don't really hear people asking about it when it comes to pharmacy school, but I know that at least UoP requires it, so I'm guessing more schools require it.


- Research Schools

I need to do this for both in state schools, and out of state schools. For the California schools, not only can I go to their websites, but I can also attend the various preview/information days that the different schools hold, as well as other events they may be having.

Out of state schools will be mostly online, unless they show up to graduate fairs that I may attend in the future. When it comes close to applying to schools, then perhaps a couple visits if possible before making a final decision.


- Take the PCAT

One of the things I need to research for out of state schools is more information on the PCAT. I faltered a bit in school, and applying to out of state schools, where they accept PCAT scores only makes sense. I need to research which schools I want to get into, but I also need to be flexible in where I decide to apply.


- Prove I Can Handle the Academic Load

I need to retake important classes. I screwed up because I was unfocused, did not prioritize right, and was simply a bad student. But that doesn't mean I'm not a capable student. I'm certainly more than capable. But I need to prove it. So I need to retake classes.

And at this point, I need to be able to do it while working. I think this is going to be one of the hardest goals to meet. I just can't predict how the schedulig is going to work. I don't have enough information yet.

But I also hope to take at least one semester with a full load, to demonstrate I can handle pharmacy school, as well as make a good connection with a teacher who can write me a letter of reccommendation.


- Research the Field of Pharmacy

This will be through working, researching online, and participating in events at pharmacy schools, and participating in events with the Pre-Pharmacy Association. I need to be able to know what I'm getting into, and to be able to demonstrate that I know it when it comes time to go through the application/interview process


- Prepare for and Apply to Pharmacy Schools

I'm going to periodically think about and work on my Personal Statement, as well as takea look at several Supplemental Applications, and take a look at PharmCAS. And learn about the interview process and practice for it.


- Lose Weight

A personal goal, but one that will benefit me through this whole process. An increase in self-confidence, health, and mental ability isn't something to ignore.


- Choose a School!

I'm imagining that I'll apply to, and be accepted by, several schools, and the last step will be in deciding which one I want to go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment