Thursday, October 8, 2009

Community Service - SF Dept of Public Heatlh H1N1 Vaccinations

[Edit: I spoke too soon:

If you previously submitted a volunteer registration form for the now-canceled mass H1N1 swine flu clinics, we may still need your help. You will be contacted directly when we begin receiving vaccine.You do not need to submit a new registration form.


The registration form has changed, and specific shifts with date/time/location no longer appear on the form.  It seems they changed it between the time I sent in an application and before I made this post.  I copied the description without noticing the change, until I double checked if my links were working.

The event is still on, just the precise date and time is now more up in the air.  Volunteering is still possible.] 

-----


I have no idea how many people read/will read this blog in time to sign up, but information on this event (from Monday, October 26th to Saturday, October 31st.) has come my way. From their website:


The San Francisco Department of Public Health needs your help. Within 48 hours of vaccine arrival, we will conduct several overflow clinics throughout the city for people at high risk for disease or transmission. To make these clinics a success, we will need a large number of volunteers.


You can be sure that I have already signed up to volunteer.  While I don't have any kind of health license at the moment, nor do I speak a second language, being part of the event should be interesting regardless of what task I get assigned to.  And since I'm available for every day that week, perhaps that'll get me assigned to a somewhat substantial role.

What do I plan to take from this experience?

First of all, the experience itself should be enjoyable.  Second, if there are any pharmacists working there, perhaps I can talk with him or her.  And third, I'll have a recent volunteering experience that is relevant when it comes time to apply for jobs as a pharmacy technician.  My resume is pretty empty, and filling it out will be very beneficial.


Pre-Pharmacy Association

I should probably mention how I learned about this.  Well, it was pretty simple.  A couple years ago I help to found the Pre-Pharmacy Association at San Francisco State University.  I was the founding vice president.  As my hope for making it to pharmacy waned, I stopped participating as an active member, but I never asked them to take myself off the mailing list.

I wanted to once again join as a full member this semester, had I gotten the classes I needed, but school for the Fall wasn't to be.  However, after complimenting the current officers about how well the organization seems to be doing, I was given an open invitation to still participate in their events.  I may just take them up on their offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment