Saturday, October 24, 2009

UCSF Pharmacy Day (Hosted by CSHSP)




Back to UCSF already. This time it was much easier to get there, and easy to find the HSW building. There were even some convenient signs pointing the way, even though I already pretty much knew how to get there.


-- Free Health Screenings (Diabetes, Cholesterol, and Hypertension)

The diabetes table was open, so I went there first. I was going to get tested for all of it, so it didn't matter which went first. I guessed I was currently at a low risk for diabetes even though my dad has diabetes, and after answering a series of questions, the student pharmacist confirmed my guess. After signing the consent form, my finger was pricked, and test confirmed it even more. Unfortunately I left the info sheet that my result was written on, so I no longer know the specific number.

Next was the Cholesterol test. Consent and finger number two was pricked. I was told that this test would require a bit more blood than the diabetes test... and then my finger stopped cooperating! Barely any blood came out, she tried to massage some blood out and it didn't help. I was then asked to stand up and that didn't work. So it was time to band-aid it up and prick finger number three with a bigger needle. It worked and my finger bled.

While we waited for the machine to spit out the results, the student pharmacist took my blood pressure. 131/80 came out. Right in the middle of the pre-hypertension range. Good to know. The accompanying info sheet suggests taking my blood pressure every month, and I may just do that. Then came the cholesterol results... 195! That's too close to the 200 border that keeps me in the desirable range. Last year when I donated blood with the Blood Centers of the Pacific, I was informed that my blood type was O positive, and that my cholesterol was 171. Even if eating breakfast brought up my results today, it's still probably higher than it was last year, and it's higher than I want regardless.

With the tests done, I went back out into the lobby where some food (muffins, croissants, juice, coffee, and water) were served, as well as some project posters. The most interesting fact from the men's health poster was pointed out to me by the student pharmacist in charge of the project. Testicular cancer most likely occurs in males between 15 and 34. That means me! On that table was a model scrotum to feel what a tumor would feel like. I picked up some pamphlets on Alzheimer’s disease at the mental disorders project. Possibly useful since my grandfather had it, my dad might get it, and I could get it as well. And there was a fun little Myth/Fact game at the anti-bacterial project. I got four of the five questions right and got a nice little bag of swag.


Viral Pak Contents: Info Pamphlet, Tissue,
Hand Sanitizer, Tylenol, Green Tea x2


-- Senator Leland Yee on Healthcare

The second half of the event was a speech and Q&A session from Senator Leland Yee of the California Senate on the subject of healthcare. I'd say it was a pretty good speech. Opened up with saying that coming to SF feels like coming home, and why healthcare is important. And how he votes the way he believes.

To summarize, there were three main concepts he felt were important to healthcare.

1) Preventative health care will greatly reduce costs and is very important. Sometimes it would be better if people couldn't refuse some treatments because their refusal causes further problems down the line for the patient and/or society. (Ex. Someone with a mental disorder refuses to take any medication, and may end up causing some sort of harm to other people and/or ends up with worse health problems because of that decision.)

2) A connection between health professionals and patients is important. (And of course he mentioned how pharmacists are ranked as the number one trusted health professional and we should keep that up.)

3) Money is a strong force in the healthcare industry and a public option is necessary to keep things honest.

Points two and three seem to make sense. Point one makes sense in a general sense, but of course when it comes to imposing on individual rights, there is always some concern. The details are important for all points of course.

The senator ended with saying that he believes that while heathcare will pass on the national level, there will be some important things left out because of how our system works, and the issue will then return to the state's to take the issue all the way. And he added that it is important that we all speak up and have our voices heard.

Then the Q&A Session (Short form):

Q: The public option may not pass on the national level. Is it a slam dunk for California?
A: Depends on the costs.

Q: What kind of stats are there?
A: About 25% of Californians don't have health insurance.

Q: Pre-existing conditions?
A: That's a complicated cost issue. Insurance is obviously opposed to it because it will no doubt cost them money. In the Doctor's PoV they need to be able to be treated.

Q: Speaking of preventative health care and fiscal responsibility, Will we be watching the overall health of the population?
A: That is a good question that hasn't been brought up. In short, no. We're only focusing on ways to finance healthcare, and that people who are sick have access to treatment. That is a good point that should be in our agendas.

Q: Have you considered a Kaiser type of public option?
A: Kaiser has been involved, but details such as who will control that particular system (solely the non-profit, or with government oversight) and other details must be considered. There are a lot of good points to that system, but some bad as well.


-- Conclusion

I thought the event was great.  Everyone was friendly, I got a lot of useful info.  I talked to several of them about how they're liking their classes so far, and everyone was encouraging about pursuing a career in pharmacy.  One of them even gave me her email in case I ever have any questions.  All in all, it was well worth it to attend.  Who knows, perhaps I'll be helping out at an event like this one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment