Monday, November 2, 2009

Becoming a Pharmacy Technician - Part 3 - PTCE Update

I've finished studying The Pharmacy Technician. It took a little bit longer than I wanted, due to moving out of my old place and everything that entails. The material isn't all that bad. It was mostly a lot of new terms and abbreviations that I had to learn, a lot of common sense and straightforward procedures, and some extremely simple math.

The only major difference, which I mentioned in an earlier post, is that is says the PTCE is 100 multiple choice questions long. This is wrong. It's actually only 90 questions long, with 10 of those questions (randomly placed throughout the exam) to be used for evaluation purposes for future exams, and will not count towards the final score. This change is likely due to the fact that that both books were published in 2007. While there's a format change to the exam, I doubt there are major changes to the content of the exam. To be safe however, I will take the official practice exam offered by the PTCG from their website for $29.




The breakdown of the exam is (direct from the PTCB website):

I. Assisting the Pharmacist in Serving Patients - 66% of exam
II. Maintaining Medication and Inventory Control Systems - 22% of exam
III. Participating in the Administration and Management of Pharmacy Practice - 12% of exam

(I'd probably be a good idea to go through the Content Outline links at the bottom of that page so see what the official website says about the content of the exam.)

I'll be timing myself and taking the practice exam in the Workbook & Certification Review companion book tomorrow, and completing the online registration for the exam tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment