Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pharm Tech Hire... So Close! And Resume 1.5



Ok so... I went in to the Human Resources office to physically fill out an application for the pharm tech job. As I was filling it out, a nice lady was walking by and stopped. She asked me what job I was applying for and I told her. She asked, "Do you have a resume?" I told her I did. Then she asked, "Did anyone recommend you?" And I said yes to that to. She then told me that she'd go ask the director if I could get an interview on the spot!!

Unfortunately when she came back, it wouldn't be possible at that exact moment, but she was going to make sure the director got my resume, and that I would be getting a call. Not the absolute perfect storm, but still that's some nice weather blowing my way.

And the resume I handed her wasn't quite the one I posted up the other day. I made three significant adjustments.

One, I added to my objective that Volunteering was also an acceptable option that I'd be willing to take. One more point to emphasize that I'll be there to really learn the job, and that I'm not just applying for money. The experience is more valuable to me than money.

Two, I added that I have my CPR/AED certification.

Three, I added that I'm a member of the American Pharmacists Association. That's not something I've talked about on here before I think. That's because while I do get the emails, and I do get the magazine, I have yet to participate in any event. I became a member... in November of 2009 I believe. But most of the events are really geared towards pharmacists and student pharmacists, and then pharm techs. I have yet to figure out how to fully utilize my membership as just a pre-pharmacy student. That's why I initially left it off, but my friend convinced me that I deserve to put it on there because I have contributed by paying my dues.

When I asked my cousin to review my resume, he brought up three things. He works in the biotech field, and felt that while it was good to put my goals on the resume, he felt the 2012 date for when I wanted to be a student pharmacist was a detriment. However, from all that I've seen, a there have been plenty of student pharmacists and presenters that talk about how even just one month of experience will help in your applications to pharm school. That gave me the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that there are plenty of applicants that don't work for very long, and so saying my target date by Fall 2012 meant I actually wanted to work there for a long time. The position is also just an On Call position and not full time, helping to strengthen my belief that putting the date on there is the right thing.

My cousin also thought that putting the gap in time under my Pre-Pharmacy Association involvement was a bad idea, and that I should have just written it as 2006-Current. But there are two issues with that. I have a hard time lying. It's simply not true. The other is that I think it's actually better to have that gap. I was the founding Vice President, and then nothing else. If I was involved that whole time, I think it actually looks worse on me that I didn't take any other position. Maybe I was a bad leader, people hated me, or simply lost interest. I think by having that gap, perhaps that might lead to an interview question asking why, and I could explain I gave up on pharmacy, took a break, and have regained my motivation.

In fact, I think collectively all the additions really tells that story on my application, that I've come back with determination to make it. I have three items under Licensure/Certification that all expire in 2011, and I have it written down that I rejoined the PPA and became a member of APhA at the same time, and they know my goal is to make it into pharmacy. Collectively that seems to me that it speaks out that I've been taking all the proper steps to make it towards my goal, and will be a pharm tech that will be working his best to make it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment