Saturday, April 17, 2010

Summer 2010 - Revised Again or SFSU Continues!


I'm juggling so many balls in my head right now.  It's somewhat hard to know where to start, but let's go ahead with school.

Summer 2010. I made an assumption, and I made it wrong, that it would be nearly impossible for me to get into Summer classes at San Francisco State. The programs are impacted, and it has been nearly impossible to get into any class these past couple semesters. But when I checked, just in case, on the enrollment info for Cell Biology, I was surprised with a nice 76 seats still vacant out of the room that seats an estimated 120!  Priority enrollment continues on until tomorrow, but no one added today.

8:00am Monday morning I'll be adding the class, and I expect to get in. The $325 a unit isn't going to be fun, but this is an opportunity that I shouldn't pass up.

More importantly, because of this latest development, I was browsing through the other available classes for the Summer. I had always assumed that BIOL 340 was the only Biochem class, while it was BIOL 349 that was being offered. Well... just in case again, I just clicked on over to the Western U website to pull up their convenient website that lists equivalent courses, and voila! BIOL 349 is also an acceptable class!! And it still has 39 seats open in a room that holds an estimated 150!

This is huge. I was going to play it by ear, with what classes I'd be able to take and see which schools' minimum requirements I'd be able to reach. Prior to this, I really only had a solid shot at UCSF and Tuoro, but all the out of state schools that I have yet to research. With as many units as I have, and the F's that I allowed myself to get by prioritizing school last in my life, it remains to be seen whether or not I can get the 3.0 minimum prerequisite GPA for USC or UCSD. hose schools are already moved over to the 2nd Round of applications column if I don't get in to other schools on my first attempt.

I also will not have the two required BioChem classes that Western U requires, nor do I plan on applying to Loma Linda because they ask for one Letter of Rec to be from a... I forget how they word it exactly... but something like a faith counselor. Right now I'm a non-practicing Catholic, and I wouldn't feel right asking a priest to write me a letter or recommendation.

So that cuts my choices down to four. UCSF, Northstate, Touro, and UoP. Four thanks to my ability to take both Cell Bio and BioChem during the summer. I expect the reason why there are still seats open is because this isn't the normal enrollment system, and people have to go through the special College of Extended Learning portion of the website, rather than the normal sfsu.edu. Whatever the case may be, I lucked out.

What does this mean for Microeconomics and Intro to Biotechnology at CCC? Well, if I get in, I'm going to drop that, because my schedule would conflict, but I'm still going to take the Biotech class. That class is online and isn't offered on a regular basis from what I can tell.  It's certainly not offered in the Fall.

And this post is long enough as is. I'll just have to get to the other thoughts moving around in my mind in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment