Thursday, April 15, 2010

SFSU Genetics Exam 2 Results


Ok, exam results in, and it's not good. I got a 62 on the exam. A 62!! Of all the thoughts that went through my head as I walked out that door, almost the wost case scenario happened. The big issue... problem number 1 which was worth 30 points.  

It was one of those problems that had multiple parts to it (5pts, 10pts, 10tps, and 5pts)  For some reason my mind couldn't just quite get the first step to the problem (figuring out the order between three genes) and that messed up my results for the rest of the problem. I changed my answer to one part losing me 5pts, missed a 10pts part, and only got half of the other 10pt part. Netting me only 5 points. (I do however think I should have gotten partial points because I did the calculations flawlessly, just with the wrong assumed order. I'll be going to my professor's office hours and discuss that.) Considering how much time I spent on problem 1 that took time away from reviewing a simple problem that I wanted to take a second look at, in total that simple mistake cost me anywhere from 20-30 points on this exam.

So where does that leave me? There are 400 points to the class. I got a 99 for Exam I + Bonus Quiz.. I have perfect attendance which should equal 50 points. I have my research paper on ALS turned in which can get me up to 50 points. With this 62 points, that's a total of 261 points of 300 taken so far, with 100 left to go.  Sort of.

Good news is that the professor is going to give us a take home exam. Open book, open notes, open people.  The score on this take home exam will be averaged with my lowest score. That means my 62 can turn into an 81. I need a 92% to get an A in the class.  So I have a 12 point window if I perfect the take home and the paper. Perfecting the paper is unlikely. I'm guessing 1 to 5 points taken away from that. If I can get some partial credit of 2 points on my Exam 2 raw score (netting me 1 point after averaging a perfect take home.) then that means I have an 8 point window for Exam 3.

That A is still possible, but I want it guaranteed.  I'll be going to my professor's office hours once a week from here on out.  I don't want a stupid brain fart to cripple my score again.  There will be no bonus quiz this time.  No take home exam.  Exam 3 is Exam 3 and that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment