Saturday, April 24, 2010

Resume 1.0 - Pharmacy Technician



Well... I made a resume. I got a tip about a possible job at a hospital, and I put together what I could to make a resume. It's a bit sparse. I had to really find a way to word my duties working for the Census to have any kind of relevance towards duties as a pharm tech. But at least I do have something to put under the work experience section now.

The key things on here that I have are that they know I have the PTCB certificate and license to work in CA, they can clearly see that I will have the motivation to do well in the job because I plan an using the experience as an important learning experience to becoming a pharmacist, and while I don't have any pharm tech experience yet, I've obviously taken plenty of classes that use many of the same math concepts required for the job and have first hand experience with the equipment that I may be using.

On a more anal note... I probably spent half an hour or so deciding what font I wanted to use.

(Yes, the rest of this post is 100% about font choice.)

I googled "resume font" and the sites I went to suggested Times New Roman and Arial to look more contemporary. Well I originally wrote it in Arial, but when I was done, I switched it to Times just to see what it looked like.

Well... the website was right that Times does look more old fashioned. It also is a bit smaller than Arial. With the Arial font, I took up nearly the whole page, in Times there was a larger gap at the bottom, and switching to a 12 font made it exceed one page.

I felt comfortable with my choice in Arial until I changed just the header to Times. I really liked how the header looked in times. That came off as more professional looking. I started questioning myself that maybe Times looks more professional on the whole. Should I go for a contemporary look? or professional?

I kept on looking at the whole thing in Times, and I just didn't like the body that way. I liked the header in Times and the body in Arial. But maybe that's just crazy. It might be off putting to other people. So I tried to ask for opinions. Unfortunately, all 5 or 6 people that I attempted to ask all did no respond (and in the case of one person her internet cut out and she left to go buy a new router.)

So to prevent myself from looking crazy, I just settled with my original choice and left the whole thing in Arial, and sent it in.  We'll see if this leads anywhere.

When I was done, I switched it all to Times just to see what it looked like.

(Ok I lied... a quick update about the Library Aide part time job process.  I had my first mishap with my alarm clock and set it for 7:30 pm rather than am, but I woke up with just enough to get to the Library and take their evaluation exam. It was essentially some basic math and sorting Fiction and Non-Fiction books. When I showed up, there were about 50 people also taking the exam, so getting hired isn't likely.)

6 comments:

  1. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
    Veterinary Technician Schools

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that can really boost a resume is the right training. for pharmacy technician, there are now a lot of providers for those needing certificates for pharmacy technician training - this is going to be one of the good ways to ensure yourself a position in the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the best blog I have been through all this day.
    tony marriot

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information.
    Rental Van

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information! Always keep a healthy life by consuming healthy food and doing exercise regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for this very helpful resume, comes in useful

    ReplyDelete