Thursday, December 3, 2009

Becoming a Pharmacy Technician - Part 12 - Live Scan Fingerprinting



Short version: I got my fingerprints scanned, in anticipation of receiving my PTCE results in the mail, so I can send in my application for my California pharm tech license.

Long Version:  I got my finger prints scanned today.  I headed over the link provided in the application to find a Live Scan location.  I was trying to shop around for the cheapest location, and saw that most places were "Appointment Only."  I lucked out and found that the cheapest location was also the closest.  It had some random name, but whatever.  Am I really supposed to be familiar with the names of Live Scan sites?  I dial up the number.  It rings.  It rings some more.  Then I get an answering machine.

The message wasn't even a professional answering machine message.  "Thank you for calling [insert business name].  Our hours of operation are..." and all that.  It was the generic answering message you get on cell phones.  "You have called [insert number].  Please leave a message after the beep."  I was going to call to make an appointment for the next day or two, but after that, it wouldn't hurt to take a look to see what else is out there.

I skimmed through all the other nearby locations and saw that one of the locations was a UPS Store, and allowed walk-ins.  No appointment necessary.  That's great.  It was $10 more, but there was still plenty of time in the day, and I wasn't doing anything.  I figured I'd just go right then and there.

I get there, the are other people around taking care of their business, it's a nice and familiar store.  No hassle and a comfortable setting.  I figured that it was worth paying an extra $10.  I ask to get my fingerprints scanned, and hand over the paperwork and my ID.  While the lady was setting that up, another customer walked in and also asked for her fingerprints scanned.  Was that just a coincidence?  Or do they really do multiple scans per day?  I guess since there are so many locations nearby, it must be a service that's asked for pretty regularly.

Well, the person helping me yelled out from the computer she was at that the total cost would be $81!  There were additional fees, like the link said, I just didn't realize it would be that much.  It was $31 for the FBI, and $20 more for the DOJ.  (That could be reversed, but either way the total was an additional $51.) 

The lady also asking for fingerprinting said, "I hope it doesn't cost that much for me."  But then mentioned her work would also reimburse her for $50 of the charge. 

Then the attendant asked the lady how she'd be paying, and the lady responded that she'd be using her debit card.  "That'll be a $3.00 additional charge."

I could only laugh.  What's three more dollars.

Then the attendant said she could be charging me first, before they did the scan.  With payment processed, we went back to the computer and she scanned my prints.  First both thumbs, then all four fingers on my right hand, then my left, then all my fingers individually.  When that was done, she clicked a button, and said that they'd receive the info when it was done loading.  And just like that, I was finished.

I had my receipts and my paperwork.  And I noticed that the UPS store can also notarize things and takes passport photos.  I didn't really like the photo I took at Costco, so I'll be taking another.  And now I know where I can get my notarized copy of my PTCE results.  A nice one stop shop for all my California pharm tech license needs.  But I'll be sure to bring cash next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment