Sunday, December 13, 2009

Book Review - Prescription to My Younger Self: What I learned after Pharmacy School




 
Prescription to My Younger Self: What I learned after Pharmacy School is a satisfactory book for those looking for words of inspiration or a few short lists on how to prepare for pharmacy school and beyond.  (The book preview can be found here.

The book, titled Prescription to My Younger Self: What I Learned After Pharmacy School, features letters from professional pharmacists and corporate executives sharing what they learned about themselves and their profession after pharmacy school. The book, which was compiled by sixth-year pharmacy students Annah Steckel, Alisha Broberg, Jennell Colwell, and Brad Koselke as part of a research project funded in part by a grant from Johnson & Johnson, was designed to help pharmacy students better understand what to expect after graduation. Assistant Professor Erin Albert, who served as the student's faculty mentor, thought the project would hold strong value to the students and profession.

(The full page describing the projects can be found here.

The first few letters provide words of inspiration and encouragement.  I wasn't really looking for that.  I've already found my determination and drive.  What was I hoping to find were some hard and solid bullet point types of advice.  And as I got further into the book, I got what I wanted.  And while I wasn't looking for it, I did eventually come to appreciate some of the words of advice that was offered.

None of the letters are very long, and the book is a quick read.  The arrangement of the letters seems to have had some thought put into it, with the most memorable letter saved for near the end.  This blog is about getting into pharmacy school, but the goal is about acquiring a career in pharmacy.  Reading messages from those who have already made it there is a nice glimpse of what's to come.

If you're looking for a break from researching schools and reading up on the technicalities and strategies of the application process, I think this is a nice change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment