Tuesday, December 8, 2009

SFSU - Spring 2010




Well.. my registration time appeared, and I've registered for my final classes at San Francisco State University as an undergrad.  I'm taking "Introduction to Research in Psychology" and "Genetics."  The first because it's the final class I need to get my degree in Psychology, and the second because I need to take a class that I'm not repeating that will also help to demonstrate that I can handle the material in pharm school.

I'm only enrolled into two classes for two reasons, money is an issue right now and with this schedule I should be able to (hopefully) get a full time job as a pharmacy technician.  My classes are MWF 8-10am, with one more hour "to be arranged" whatever that means.

The good thing is that both these classes are fresh, and not courses I'm repeating.  The bad thing is that it's only six units, and I will have to take on a much harder load in a later semester to help my chances of getting accepted anywhere.

The worse thing is that I talked to an adviser on Monday, and found out that SFSU only accepts post-baccs in a specific two year program for pre-health students.  I can qualify for that, but it's a specific program and costs over $30k a year.  That's just as much (or more) as pharm school!  I can't afford that money, and the time commitment is pretty huge.

The California schools are in trouble, and have too many students at the moment.  They can't afford to take on more than they have.  That means my only option (to take classes at SFState after graduation) is to attempt to enroll through the Open University policy.  That essentially boils down to "Show up to class on the first day and cross your fingers that there is a spot open."  That'll be extremely unlikely with how packed the classes are.

What that means for me is that, unless I find out that it's possible for me to get into classes at another 4-year university, then I'll have to hope that taking all the classes I can at my local community college will be enough to help offset my grades.  Thankfully there's still Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology that I still have to take that will be available to me.  Unfortunately BioChem and Immunology classes may not be possible for me to retake.  And somewhat in between fortunately and unfortunately I may have to retake my Physics and Calculus classes because I took them so long ago.  (Having to retake them over kinda sucks... but then I have a reason to stack those hard classes with the other ones to create some tough semesters.)

This also places greater importance in studying for the PCAT and doing well on it.  I was starting to think that maybe I'll just apply to California in my first go around and add more schools for the second attempt, but with limited options into what classes I can take at a community college... well... it might not be enough to get into California schools.

It's not impossible.  The plan is to get all A's from here on out.  We'll just have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment